terça-feira, 19 de agosto de 2008

Come and Meet Alvor in Algarve, Portugal

Alvor - History
It is believed the Carthaginians founded Alvor and its history is interesting. It is said by some that it was really the site of "Portus Hannibalis". The Romans gave it the name Ipses and it was considered an important port and was allowed to issue its own money. Its importance is confirmed by the ruins of a wealthy Roman villa located slightly inland from the present village. In the time of the Moors, who first occupied the area in 716, they gave it the named of "Albur" and the village passed through both the Portuguese and Moors hands several times until 1250 when the Christians conquered it for the final time. King Dom João II, who is regarded in history as an outstanding Portuguese king, is recorded as dying in within the town walls from a prolonged illness in 1495. Most of the original village and its castle was destroyed in the earthquakes of 1532 and 1755.

Alvor - Description
Although this ancient coastal village is now a very popular holiday location the enclosed narrow streets have kept development to a minimum. Many of these streets now boast bars with live music and different types of restaurants, however leading off from these there are still memories of the older fishing village. In the area are a number of holiday resorts from which the tourists enjoy visiting it and its attractions. The village is well located facing a natural lagoon opening onto the sea. There is a choice of a long open sandy beach or a number of small coves tucked under the cliffs. The originally 16th Century Parish Church was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1755 and still has a prime example in its main doorway of the great craftsmanship of the Manueline era of architecture. It was the only building that more or less survived from the earthquake.

Alvor- Nearby Locations
Places near to Alvor are the commercial town of Portimão, the famous popular beaches of Praia da Rocha and Praia da Vau, and the semi-nature reserve of Quinta da Rocha

Alvor is 6km west of one of Portugal's oldest tourist developments: Praia da Rocha. Southwest of Portimão, beautiful sandy beaches are bordered with craggy cliffs and the whole effect is extremely picturesque. There are some fabulous views from the fort here, especially at sunset, and it is easy to see why fin-de-siècle tourists loved it so much. Today, after the Algarve's post-1960 tourist boom, both Alvor and Praia da Rocha are more 'high-rise hotel' than 'old-world villa' in style, but the views remain equally as magnificent.

The area around the church and Praça da República have managed to hang on to their charm and character, and the fishing boats in the harbour, which has several good fish restaurants, add to the area's allure. If you walk up to the castle there is a playground amid the ruins to amuse the children and thirteenth-century relics to amuse their parents.
The main street for bars and restaurants is Rua Dr Frederico Romas Mendes, which in turn leads down to Largo da Ribeiro by the river with its own fish market and restaurants. The restaurants on the riverside square serve up excellent grilled fish and you really feel you are getting a taste of local culinary specialties. There is also a modern sculpture of a fish in the square to continue the fishy theme. You can enjoy the fine weather on the restaurant terraces that overlook the river with its colorful fishing boats, and then stroll up the path by the estuary after lunch, or in the other direction towards the Praia de Alvor. It is a gargantuan beach with little to recommend it other than sea, sand and the fact that it is less crowded than some of its neighbors

Visit Real Estate agency specialized in Alvor area - www.algarve-real-estate-centre.com

Related Articles

quinta-feira, 7 de agosto de 2008

/* ------ Google Analytics ---------- */